Saturday, September 10, 2005

Dust...

Reflecting on my thoughts, looking at the transient nature of life, one should always reflect on what one has been doing with his/her life and how you should live your life better.

What are the more important things in life? I guess the key word is 'prioritise'. No point working your guts out and in the mean time, neglect the more important issues of life. When you are dead, people won't remember how successful you were in your job or how much money you made. People will remember the deeds you have done and how you were there for them. Move away from trying to acquire material wealth and focus on the intangibles, such as the emotional needs of the more important people in your life, contentment etc.

Remember, in the end, we are just dust.


"I am the Resurrection, and the Life: he that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live... " John 11:25

It was weird today, attending a Christian funeral service and singing hymns. The last time I sang hymns was 2 years ago in a church with my ex. This made me think about how I've been avoiding the whole issue of religion all these while....well, it is an issue I've constantly been grappling with...Today, I did feel as if I was part of the flock again.

When I was looking at the people around me, looking at the environment, I couldn't stop looking at the space through a geographer's lens, seeing the place as a landscape of death. It also made me think how I would prefer my own funeral to be one where people rejoice, rejoice the fact that I am in a better place. I hope my own service will be one where relatives, friends and other acquaintances give eulogies about me, I sure would like to listen to what others have to say about me, like how I was glued to people giving eulogies about my uncle. It was interesting to learn about other facets of his life, no matter how short it was.


I am grateful that my geog tutor understood the need for me to have a 'time-out' to attend to more important issues. Thank you Kenneth for your kind understanding.



3 comments:

Kath said...

Sometimes in tragedy we seem to see more clearly.

I am a Christian who had a lot of questions. One thing that helped me see clearly was answersingenesis.org

Great articles, and talks. Maybe you've been avoiding the religion issue b/c there are things to face and questions to be answered that are hard to find, or you don't want to know the answer. Not to sound preachy, but the peace I feel now needs to be shared!

Anonymous said...

Hey...I'm sorry for your loss.

You take care dear friend..

Geognut said...

Thanks all.