Thursday, August 11, 2005

Who says Mondays are bad...

Grumble grumble grumble...today was the first full Thursday I had since my training at NIE started. What does this day entail? Classes from 0830 to 1730 hrs straight. Straight...that is, without even a lunch break. Hence I was busy munching on my tuna sandwiches during Geography class, hope the rest of the class did not mind the smell from the tuna or be distracted by the crunching sound of japanese cucumbers as I slowly chew into them....

Could only start on my blog now as I spent the last 3 hrs after dinner just staring at the wall and 'stone' (stoning is the act of staring blankly into space with a corresponding nothing-ness in your mind).

Today was really an activity-packed day but I shall mainly focus on two aspects for this post, both stemming from my thoughts that formed during geography class.

Firstly, as I listened to my fellow classmate's teaching experience in her school, I couldn't help but think about my own teaching experience. I am what you call, a 'blessed person' (not in love, luck and money apparently but more so for my teaching stints). My first attachment which was for 15 days was held during my Second Year when I was still in University. Then, I was attached to a Special Assistance Plan (SAP) school which was 300m from my place. Needless to say, I did not encounter any disciplinary problem from my students who were all from the express stream. They were generally self-motivated, hence I did not have any problems with regards to classroom management. During my Enhanced School Experience when I was on attachment for 1 month, it was even better. I was attached to the top government school in Singapore (located in the East). The students there were either in the Special or Gifted stream or Integrated Programme. They were even more self-motivated and once again, I did not encounter any 'real' (as compared with my fellow trainees) disciplinary problems! Although admittedly, I did scold a couple of students though but they were quick to repent and not commit the same transgression again. Isn't it nice to teach in such a school, where discipline cases are minimal, students are self-motivated, curriculum is aggressive and whereby the students will readily greet you by bowing?!

The great thing about teaching in such a good school is the fact that now, I can really concentrate on the entire art and science of teaching, that is, not needing to rush the students to submit their assignments or to ensure that they are listening to what I am teaching. Additionally, I truly appreciated the fact that I need not 'dumb-down' Geography as much as I thought.

I really wish that I am able to go back to this school for my practicum and permanent-posting.

Secondly, I shall comment on the 'technology-packed' class today. I do feel that it was really heavy-going. For a person who loves technology and am not daunted by technical jargon, I was really overwhelmed after a few hours. I thought that my brain was going to shut down from the overload. Admittedly though, I am interested in the potential of podcasting and using it as a tool for effective and engaged learning. My concern about using podcasting, with its emphasis on the auditory aspect, is how to effectively use podcast to teach Geography. Geography, to me at least, is a very visual and hands-on subject. By focusing on the auditory aspect alone without the visual and tactile aspect may indeed be problematic if we want to teach topics such as plate tectonics, hydrological cycle, mapping etc.

Maybe podcasting may be more applicable for topics in Human Geography rather than Physical Geography? However, I do admit that I might be restrained by my own lack of imagination and artistic ability and I might be proven wrong in that podcasting may really be a viable alternative to the standard of using powerpoint and the overhead projector etc. But I am still unreserved in my stand that conducting field-trips will remain the gold-standard in the teaching of Geography.

Yes, today's class might be an overload. Yes, I probably have forgotten many of the things discussed today. Yes, I know for sure that once we start practicing the use of technology and use it often, we will eventually get the hang of it and it will come to us naturally, just like how Word, Excel and Powerpoint have come to us naturally.

And Yes, I am in AWE of the MAC.

(Steve Jobs, if you happen to read this, please sponsor this poor teacher and give him a Powerbook 17" with all the necessary goodies. It will be effective advertisement too. Oh, throw in an Ipod with both mic attachments so that he can really commence on his podcasting!)

4 comments:

jurong1 said...

quote:

By focusing on the auditory aspect alone without the visual and tactile aspect may indeed be problematic IF WE WANT TO TEACH such as plate tectonics, hydrological cycle, mapping etc.

unquote

***********************

maybe, just maybe, the question might be approached from a slightly different angle?

might that be the way in?

:-)

Anonymous said...

So, how much is the Powerbook you are looking at?

I'll see if I have some spare change.

Geognut said...

I'm not that greedy, a Powerbook 15" with SuperDrive will do. $4288 I believe.

Anonymous said...

Wha??? ttt???

That's my wages for 0.00005 secs!